Cairns Aquarium is a great way to sample 2 World Heritage-listed areas at once! The Great Barrier Reef and the Wet Tropics of Far North Queensland.
While having fun and exploring, you can also learn many new and exciting things about North Queensland.
Cairns Aquarium is the first Aquarium dedicated to the species and habitats of North Queensland. This Aquarium features exhibitions of the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree Rainforest.
Discover 16,000 creatures from the reef and rainforest. Then discover five unique habitats, including The Great Barrier Reef, Gulf Savannah and Cape York.
There is so much to see, from snakes and lizards to sea stars and clownfish.
Next, explore the different habitats at your speed while always learning about this region.
Questions and assistance
Ask the friendly staff any questions they will be delighted to share their knowledge with you.
While you are at the Aquarium, enjoy the informative presentations offered throughout the day.
Visit the Cairns Aquarium after hours!
Next, experience the Aquarium by Twilight. This experience includes a 2-hour Ecologist, guided tour, canapes and drinks followed by dinner and dessert.
Frequently asked questions
Who owns the Cairns Aquarium?
Cairns Aquarium is privately owned by partners Daniel Leipnik and Andrew Preston.
Is Cairns Aquarium open?
Yes, 365 days a year from 10 am to 3 pm.
Where is the Cairns Aquarium?
This attraction is located on the corner of Florence and Abbott Streets in Cairns city. The entrance is on Florence Street.
After a fantastic day at the Cairns Aquarium, you will be excited to see the Great Barrier Reef. Click the link to see the best options.
Cairns Aquarium features Flooded Billabongs
Home to Freshwater Sawfish, the iconic Barramundi, and Whiptail Ray.
A rainforest inside an Aquarium?! Spot tropical snakes, Emerald tree Monitors, and Frogs.
Learn about the fascinating biodiversity of the mangrove habitat. Keep an eye out for baby crocodiles while walking along the boardwalk!
Great Barrier Reef
Next, take in the sheer expanse and beauty of Australia’s only 10-metre deep reef tank!
Then discover the 20 metre Underwater Viewing Tunnel. They feature a 360° view Oceanarium.
Cairns Aquarium Presentation Times
- Noon Stat your day in the Ocean Room for the Shark and Ray Feeding presentation
- 13:00 Next, visit the River Monsters Amphitheater for the River Monsters Presentation
- 14:00 Then see the Deep Reef Amphitheatre for the Denizens Of The Deep presentation.
- ALL DAY Marine Touch Tank, Level 1.
Cairns Aquarium by Twilight
- 15:45 Arrive at Cairns Aquarium – time to choose your Drink, main and dessert
- 16:00 Net takes the Ecologist guided twilight tour
- 17:30 Drink and canapes served in the Oceanarium
- 18:00 – 19:30 After enjoy dinner and dessert at Dundee’s Restaurant
- Upgrade and enjoy a delicious 2-course lunch (main meal with a choice of a soft drink OR dessert) at the famous Dundees Restaurant. (NOT available Monday or Tuesday)
- Coffee, morning and afternoon tea are all available at Dundees Restaurant (NOT open Monday or Tuesday)
How to get there
The Cairns Aquarium is located right in Cairns’ centre on Abbott Street and Florence Streets. Opposite the Cairns Tour Booking Centre.