Cairns Tours, Attractions, Sightseeing, Things to do
Cairns Tour PackagesSee more listings
Great Barrier Reef StaySee more listings
Cairns Tour Has The Best North Queensland Adventures
Cairns Tours welcome to your guide of the best things to do and see in Cairns,
From relaxation to adventure, sights to take your breath away and memories to last a lifetime – we have it all!
Adventure and vibrancy are on offer in Cairns and the surrounding areas, with an intimate welcome and a cosmopolitan city that will feel like home after just a few days.
Spas, outdoor pursuits or fine dining, Cairns has it all.
Whether you are travelling solo, backpacking with friends, honeymooning or away with the family, this region has something to offer absolutely everyone.
Best known for its tropical climate, Cairns is a popular tourist destination for visitors.
Those wanting to visit the Great Barrier Reef will often use Cairns as the starting point.
Sailing, diving and snorkeling are all high on the agenda for visitors.
Like much of Australia, Cairns offers a laid back atmosphere, beautiful sunsets and stunning weather. What is not to like?
Situated on a coastal strip on the east coast, the city is close to the Great Barrier Reef, The wet Tropics of Queensland and the Atherton Tablelands, which makes Cairns a great addition to any traveller’s plans.
Cairns has a green season and tropical monsoons from November to May and the best time to visit is June to October.
Getting to Cairns
Cairns Airport is located only 6 km from the centre of the city. All the major domestic airlines Qantas, Virgin, Jetstar, Tiger fly here together with a great choice of international airlines including Silk , Cathay Pacific , Air Niugini, Hong Kong Airlines, and Air New Zealand with new routes coming online regularly.
Taxis, buses and Uber are all available from the airport for transfers to Cairns, Palm Cove and Port Douglas.
Cairns is also a bustling port for cruise ships playing host to over 100 cruise ships stops through the region each year.
Cairns Tour Discover the Best Things to See and Do
- Explore the sea. Sign up to a scuba or snorkeling lesson and explore the amazing ocean life, which Cairns and nearby areas are renowned for.
- Indigenous Cultural Activities where you can immerse yourself into the cultural history of our rainforest people.
- Cairns Esplanade is the place to go for bars and restaurants at night, as well as its saltwater swimming lagoon with barbecue areas for the day. For nightlife lovers, visit the lively clubs and bars of Lake Street.
- Daintree Rainforest – the oldest rainforest on the planet.
- With great sea life, comes great fishing spots! Cairns offers them in abundance. Many operators can show you the ropes and regulations when it comes to fishing in Cairns or for the inexperienced or new angler; there is plenty of Barramundi to catch!
- Local markets offer local arts, crafts and produce. Visit Saturday Esplanade market for some great jewelry, beauty products and clothing finds. Other markets include Palm Cove, Holloway Beach, Tanks Market and Rusty’s. Get your retail therapy in.
- It’s not just sea adventures on offer for the thrill seekers. Why not try out the white water rafting on the Barron or Tully River?
- Still wanting more? There’s horse riding, quad biking, hang gliding, bungy jumping, to name but a few.
With two of the world’s wonders – the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree Rainforest – on the doorstep, Cairns makes the perfect base for any explorer.
Here are just some of the places to visit nearby…
- Fitzroy Island and Green Island are both National Parks located a ferry ride east of Cairns. Here you can hike, kayak, scuba dive, snorkel or just soak up the atmosphere of the natural beauty and wildlife of unspoilt Australia.
- 135 million years old, the World Heritage Daintree Rainforest is a must see. The oldest lowland rainforest on the planet offers a great chance to see rare animals and is just a day trip away from central Cairns.
- Port Douglas is a small seaside coastal village and a favorite holiday spot for celebrities, world leaders and travelers alike. Port Douglas is renowned for its casual cafes and five-star restaurants, unique boutiques and Four Mile Beach.
- For a different experience to Cairns, take a visit to the highlands – the Atherton Tablelands. A journey here will see you set 1000 metres above sea level and exploring the cooler climate and the quaint town shops and local produce on sale.
Top local attractions and must see places
Kuranda Scenic Rail
Waterfalls, bridges and tunnels through the rainforest … take a trip on the Kuranda Scenic Railway for a breath taking two-hour journey through Barron Gorge National Park.
Rainforestation Nature Park
Rainforestation Nature Park offers native Australian wildlife and conservation, indigenous cultural and a World Heritage listed rainforest on 100 acres (40 hectares of land. It’s not award-winning for nothing!
Located on 13 acres of rainforest, these heritage gardens are situated by Mena Creek Falls. It was built in the 1930’s by Spanish José Paronella and is a unique tourist attraction to the ruins and gardens that have lasted the test of natural disasters.
Granite Gorge Nature Park
Popular for campers and hikers, the park is privately owned and offers natural volcanic scenery and landscape to enjoy and explore.
Mt Mulligan Escarpment
Mount Mulligan was once a busy coal mining town and home to a disaster in 1921, when an explosion killed 75 miners.
5000 acres of tropical Savannah and wetland reserve, with its many wetland creatures and a unique conservation environment.
Yungaburra, a popular tourist destination, is one of the oldest towns in the Tablelands and a village full of charm.
Take a stop on your trip for a picnic and swim in Lake Eacham, situated in Lake Eacham National Park – made 12,000 years ago from volcanic magma.
Discover North Queensland
Kurcow Farm Kurcow Farm is a memorable experience for the whole family. Located This region has been growing coffee, tobacco and cattle since 1890. Today it is a fantastic attraction to be shared with all. The Kurcow Farm offers something for the whole family. Everyone will enjoy the fresh air and wonderful activities at Kurcow Farm. Plan your visit to the Kurcow Barnwell Farm. Firstly,...